Auslan is our passion and our goal is to provide everyone
with the opportunity to learn Auslan
The Auslan Company is proud to present this Auslan Level 1 Online course. The course comprises of 27 videos, 2.5 hours of learning, 19 groups of signs, and over 80 set sentences to practice with. At the end of the course we require students to film themselves signing to show us their expressive skills and answer 15 set questions to show us their receptive skills before a certificate in Auslan Level 1 is emailed to you.
The online course aims to be fun, to create opportunities for people to develop their Auslan skills, or to renew and update their Auslan. You will learn basic information about Auslan grammar and the importance of facial expressions and body language in Auslan.
There is a comment section after each lecture where you can ask myself or the school community questions about signs or information you are unsure about.
I hope you enjoy learning Auslan in this online course and thank you for your interest in Auslan and the Deaf community.
What you will learn:
- Auslan alphabet
- The Do's and Don'ts of fingerspelling
- Auslan numbers (inc date, time, ages and money)
- Depicting signs
- Question signs
- Facial expressions, Auslan grammar and body language
- Greetings and social talk
- Deaf / disability related signs
- Instruction signs
- Food and drink signs
- Emotion / behaviour signs
- Signing with children signs
- Family signs
- Timeline signs
- In the community signs
- Social activity signs
- Colour and animal signs
- Time to test your Auslan!
- A message from the Auslan teacher
- Introduction to Auslan Level 1 online (1:48)
- Auslan alphabet (3:49)
- Do's and Don'ts of fingerspelling (5:56)
- Numbers (including dates, times, ages, years and money) (15:12)
- Iconic signs (3:58)
- Question signs (with information on grammar, facial expression, eye contact, and body language) (13:17)
- Pleasantries and small talk signing (6:31)
- Iconic signs activity (5:41)
- Deaf and Disability signs and sentence practice (2:46)
- Money signs (1:23)
- Food and drink signs and money / food and drink sentence practice (4:59)
- Instruction signs and sentence practice (8:49)
- Baby and children signs (2:01)
- Family signs (6:48)
- Timeline signs (2:45)
- Timeline signs and baby / children signs (4:11)
- Timeline signs and family sentences (4:31)
- Emotion signs and sentence practice (6:55)
- Opposite signs and sentence practice (8:14)
- In the community signs and sentence practice (8:56)
- Social activity signs and sentence practice (8:00)
- Colour signs (4:15)
- Animal signs (2:22)
- Numbers, colour and animal signing activity (5:23)
- Transport signs and sentence practice (2:56)
- Auslan Level 1 test (and certificate) (8:26)
- What will you learn in Level 2? (2:39)
Hello. I’m Darren, your Auslan teacher
In 2004 l established The Auslan Company to teach Auslan to the wider community. Today we have 18 exceptional Auslan teachers teaching Auslan around Australia.
With over 1000 students per year, the Auslan Company is the most trusted place to learn Australian Sign Language (Auslan) in Australia.
I love teaching Auslan and I am passionate about sharing this language with you. I hope you enjoy our Auslan Level 1 online course.